The KidWind Challenge, which officially kicked off in 2009, is an annual event that allows students to explore the power of wind by building and testing their own wind turbines and then competing against other teams in their age division (4th-8th or 9th-12th). The top two winners in each age division from each of the regional challenges move on to compete at the statewide competition. Winning teams at the statewide KidWind Challenge are invited to the National KidWind Challenge. For 2020, the National Challenge will be held in Denver. If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|2020 Kansas KidWind Challenge Schedule|
|Kansas City||2/5/20 (Wed)||Olathe (Olathe West High School)||Link|
|Northeast||2/20/20 (Thu)||Manhattan (Unger Complex)||Link (see note below **)|
|Southwest||2/25/20 (Tue)||Dodge City (Village Square Mall)||Link (see note below **)|
|Northwest||2/27/20 (Thu)||Oakley (NW Kansas Educational Service Center)||Link|
|Southeast||3/6/20 (Fri)||Burlington (Wolf Creek Nuclear Power Plant)||Link (see note below **)|
|Statewide||4/4/20 (Sat)||Topeka (Topeka Career for Advanced Learning and Careers)||By invitation|
|National||6/1 - 6/4/20||Denver (additional details)||By invitation|
* In order to allow as many schools to participate as possible, each school is limited to a total of six teams (three per age division). However, the third team in each age division is automatically added to our waiting list. In addition, if we receive registrations from more than 16-18 teams at a regional event, all new registrations will be put on the waiting list and we may request schools reduce the number of teams they're bringing by holding an internal competition at their school. For schools that have teams on a waiting list, we will notify them at least one month prior to the event regarding their registration.
** As of January 9, 2020, the Northeast, Southwest, and Southeast Regional KidWind Challenges are full. If you register for either event, you will be put on a waiting list. If space becomes available, we will let you know. Please consider registering for a different regional Challenge. If you have questions before registering, please contact us at email@example.com or 785.532.6026.
Important KidWind Challenge documents (note: not all documents updated for 2020, but most information will remain similar)
- 2020 Kansas rules and logistics summary (PDF)
- 2020 Informational webinar (video and PDF)
- 2020 National KidWind Challenge rules
- 2020 Resources (including curriculum) related to wind energy (PDF)
- Sources used for the 2019 Knowledge Quiz (Regional Challenge and State Challenge) (PDF)
- Example 2019 judging scoresheet (PDF)
- 2019 Photo release form (PDF)
- 2019 Substitute and Travel Reimbursement Request Form (PDF)
- KidWind turbine generators can be purchased online (or you can contact us - we will provide one per team)
|2020 KidWind Challenge sponsors and partners|
Past Kansas KidWind Challenge results